26 March 2011

USA Cheer Nationals 2011

As you probably know, I am a cheerleader. If you dont, I might not know you. If I dont know you, its pretty weird that your reading this.
Anywhoo, this weekend is the biggest competition of the year. We train for months and have to qualify at regional competitions to make it to nationals. Our JV squad is so strong this year. like really, total beasts. The goal of our routine is to perform as well as possible, and if we are in the top 25% we are moved onto finals.
So on Friday we walked from the hotel to the arena to watch song compete. This was at 11:00. We then had to wait six hours till we were up on the mat. I can whole-heartedly say these were the longest six hours in my life. Around four we had time to run over our routine and practice on the mats. All of our stunts hit and we were all reasonably confident. We then had to wait backstage for our team to be called. To make the performers less nervous they had a wall that you could kiss and your lipstick would leave a mark. It was the coolest thing ever! I wish I had had my camera. The sophomores gave us a pep talk and we prayed for a good routine.
When we were called we rallied out onto the mat. I thought the lights in circus were bright, hah, those are like led's compared to these things. The cheer started and we immediately saw not only our varsity, but REV's JV tea cheering us on too! It was astonishing how much comfort it brought to have people you know sitting on the mat in front of you. As a cheerleader, you are instructed to look directly at the judges. It feels so silly because you're making the weirdest faces staring at one person you dont even know.
All of my stunts ,besides a small wobble in my split stunt, hit perfectly!! It was just so fun to get over with and just have fun in front of the judges. When we finished, we were all really satisfied. We knew it wasn't the best routine we've done, but it was really good. After we had to wait for varsity who had an absolutely flawless routine, simply perfect. Awards were at nine o'clock. We crowded onto the mat with all the other teams and waited for our results. They called our division from eighth to first. The other squads that placed higher weren't called. Holding hands, we anxiously awaited our results as they got closer and cl0ser to too first. They passed fourth, and a lot of the girls gave up hope. Then, they called REDLANDS!!! I do not think I have seen so many girls spontaneously cry (I'm not going to lie, i shed a tear or two myself) . Finals is such a great achievement, and I am so proud of all of us.
Tomorrow we go back to compete one last time and hopefully take the first place spot :)
This spring break has been sublime! I cant wait for tomorrow and school!!

No comments: