29 March 2011

Pray

No, not talking to god. I'm talking about Justin Beiber's song.
Now I'm not expecting a lot of people to have seen the music video for it, but if you have, you know that its quite a piece of work. Simply a four minute compilation of the Beibs talking to people in hospitals, little kids with cancer dancing, and poor people. I have nothing wrong with community service, in fact, I strongly encourage it. My problem with "Pray" is that its hardly a music video. It seems like artists these days don't appreciate the cherished history of the MV (see what I did there).
These videos used to define the artist back in the day. When MTV premiered, it was simply music videos and music news, just that. Artists made funny and entertaining videos that defined there sound and style. Some personal favorites:
  • Safety Dance- Men with Hats
  • Whip it- Devo
  • California Love- Tupac feat Dr.Dre
  • Pop Musik- M
  • Girls on Film- Duran Duran
  • Rock the Casbah- The Clash
Now don't get me wrong, there are still good music videos today, they just seem to be dying breed, and that makes me really sad.
Artists such as Lady GaGa think that making there videos edgy and expensive will instantly make them a hit, and sadly it often does. I say forget about spending tons of money! You can make a great video with some people, a camera, and a boom-box (those should really be brought back b t dubs). Most importantly, try to capture the essence of the artist and song in the video. Ex. Single Ladies. We all loved to see Beyonce do her single thing! Catchy song + catchy dance= awesome video!!
Oh, and please don't put dialogue in the video. If its that complex, make a movie. Ex. Kanye West

No comments: